February 8, 2010

My little ray of sun on dark days

Despite my being sick and down for the count the entire weekend, we turned up some pretty sweet moments.

We read the book I'll Love You Forever at bedtime on Friday night. You know, the one about the woman who breaks into her son's house when he's all grown up because she insists on singing a lullaby to him? Okay, okay, it's kind of a sweet book (minus that part - it kinda makes me want to say, "Cut the cord lady!"). ANYWAY, it's just about a sweet relationship between a mother and son. Soooo even though I'm usually thinking sarcastic thoughts, I started crying. The kiddo tried to give me a side hug from where he was laying next to me on the bed. When it didn't seem to cheer me up to his satisfaction, he climbed up to sit on my stomach, took my face in his hands and said while wiping my eyes with his thumbs, "It's okay Honey, it's okay."

On Saturday, he was sweet enough to let me lay on the couch and fight my cold while we watched movies and he played on the living room floor. There were several moments when he'd come and lean on one elbow on the couch next to my head while watching the movie. We were watching My Fair Lady (his choice, I swear!) and I started quietly singing along to one of the songs. He casually lifted his hand up and covered my mouth without breaking eye contact with the screen. It's like he'd expected and prepared for it!

In the car this morning, we listened to one of our Brite Music CD's (I cannot say enough about this company - I grew up with them and my child(ren) will/are as well). Kiddo is doing a great job of singing along with most of the songs, but the one that cracks me up the most is #10 (you can preview the exact part here) when he says, "Well lil V.I.P. fends. Time fo one mo song. Bout a MARCH! TEN HUT! DA DA DA DA DA HEW WE GO!" He puts all the energy he can into it. I love it! So committed! I know this isn't as good as a video, but maybe someday soon I'll capture it.

When I picked him up after work today, I walked in on him pointing a finger with a stern look on his face at the new assistant and saying, "Mom said to be good. Understand?" Then he noticed that I had walked in and came over to me, looking WAY up at me, but still with finger wagging and repeated, "Understand?!"

I'm sure someday the roles will be reversed and I'll be wagging my finger up at him.

And with that thought, I'm taking my worn out jar and self to bed - full of happy. Goodnight Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Having a little one who is in tune with mommy is really nice. It makes being a mom worth it.

    ReplyDelete